1) Never go grocery shopping hungry. You tend to pick items that are higher in fat and lower in nutritional value. If you’re going grocery shopping right after work, make sure to eat a granola bar or homemade peanut butter crackers before starting shopping.
2) Always try to include fresh fruits and vegetables in your lunch. Its summer, so there are plenty of delicious fruits and vegetables to buy at your local farmers market or store. Watermelon is an excellent choice.
3) Variety. Try to take something different for lunch each day or at least aim for a difference two times a week. This keeps bringing a lunch from getting old and gives you something to look forward to.
4) Frozen Meals- There are several scrumptious, low fat/low sodium frozen meals you can take for lunch on the market. Just make sure you look at the nutrition label for the amount of sodium. A good, healthy meals sodium content should not exceed 600 mg and fat should not exceed 8 grams.
5) Remember to Pack Water: You always need to hydrate yourself so keep plenty of water with you. Limit drinking of sodas (Diet and Reg.), Juices.
6) Eating Lunch out: Sometimes your friend or co-workers may say “Hey, let’s go out for lunch”. This may be for a celebration or just good conversation. Here are three important points to remember when eating lunch out:
- Don’t make it everyday occurrence. This can become costly to your wallet and create excess weight gain on your body
- Make going out more about the conversation with others rather than all about the food. Try to eat a snack before you go (like an apple). That way you can thoroughly read the menu and make a healthier, sound choice because you aren’t starving. Look for items that say baked or boiled. Stay away from cream sauces
- Choose to drink water instead of tea or soda. This saves you excess calories and excess money spent.
7) Walk or Exercise- If you have an hour lunch break, use 30 minutes to eat and relax and use the other 30 minutes to walk around the building or walk to a close park. This keeps the metabolism running and you feeling healthy. If you don’t have an hour, use 10 minutes of your lunch break to do some exercises at your desk or walk in place. Every little bit counts.
8) Place and label lunch correctly in refrigerator and freezer. Put any left over’s from eating lunch out in the refrigerator. This makes sure that you keep a lot of bacteria and potential illnesses out.
9) Meditation on Lunch- Its okay to relax and meditate on lunch. Sometimes after eating lunch, you can go back to your office and listen to soothing music via headphones and just relax. Relieving stress that maybe the first half of the day presented so the second half of the day can be better
10) Eat. Enjoy. Relax. EAT something that is Healthy. ENJOY every bite by eating slow. Relax while eating and savor the moment.