Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Recipe From Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
Looking for a healthier way to enjoy that crispy taste of fried chicken? It’s a tradition in African American households nationwide, but the traditional method of preparing this dish has proven to be unhealthy. Check out this recipe swap! It’s just as delicious and your family won’t know the difference.
- ½ cup fat-free milk or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
- 1½ tablespoons onion powder
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried hot pepper, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 8 pieces chicken, skinless (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
- a few shakes paprika
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ½ teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk
- Combine all other spices with cornflake crumbs, and place in plastic bag
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip chicken into milk and shake to remove excess. Quickly shake in bag with seasonings and crumbs, and remove the chicken from the bag
- Refrigerate chicken for 1 hour
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
- Space chicken evenly on greased baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 30–40 minutes or until meat can easily be pulled away from the bone with fork. Drumsticks may require less baking time than breasts.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: ½ breast or 2 small drumsticks
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 67 mg
Total Fiber 1 g
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Potassium 1 mg