After we March into fitness, we need to become creative and use what is available to us when you don’t feel like exercising. When the weather is sunny it’s easier to run, walk, play and to stay motivated to stick to your workout routine. Here are a few simple tips on how to make rainy day fitness fun for the entire family.
1. Convert your family room, garage, or car porch into a gym. If you don’t have free weights or other exercise equipment such as an elliptical machine, make your own weights by using milk cartons filled with water or soup cans. Make use of your stairs, chairs as an elliptical incline. A clear area on the floor is a great space to do jumping jacks, jump rope, and pushups and create a mini indoor boot camp. Use your imagination to come up with creative concepts to exercise in ways that may be new to you or that you would not normally do.
2. Just dance; it’s free, simple fun. All you have to do is turn up the music or the iPod and show off your best and silliest dance moves. Dancing is a great aerobic workout and is fun fitness for everybody.
3. Invite friends over or gather the family for a family reunion fitness day. Be sure to include games like Twister, XBOX or the Wii fitness and get active. Make use of fitness DVDs, CDs or TV fitness networks that are easy to follow and fun for all ages and body types.
4. Speed clean your home. By speed cleaning you get in an aerobic exercise and reap the benefits of having a clean living space. Get everyone involved, set the timer and see how fast you can dust, mop, load, sort, clean, and organize your home. Fast paced music helps to keep up your momentum.
5. During some rain storms you may not feel comfortable doing activities that involve lots of movement because of the rolling thunder and flashes of lighting. It is wise to do as our elders would suggest ” be still and let the Lord do his work.” This is a great time to stretch your body or do yoga exercise, which is calming to the mind, body and spirit.
6. Go ahead walk or run in the sprinkling rain with the ones you love! Play a game of catch football or softball in the rain with the neighborhood kids. Create wonderful memories with others as you stay fit, stay safe and have fun with rainy day fitness.
Do not let the rain damper your spirits and get you off track. Fitness can be done anywhere at any time. Just keep your body in motion no matter the weather!